Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Long-term use of oxymetholone can cause liver tumors or blood-filled cysts in your liver or spleen. Call your doctor at once if you have:
- nausea, upper stomach pain;
- rapid weight gain, especially in your face and midsection;
- loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools; or
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
- painful or difficult urination;
- increased interest in sex, painful or ongoing erection of the penis;
- loss of interest in sex, impotence, trouble having an orgasm, decreased amount of semen when you ejaculate;
- easy bruising or bleeding (nosebleeds, bleeding gums), any bleeding that will not stop;
- painful swelling in your breasts;
- changes in skin color; or
- shortness of breath (even with mild exertion), swelling in your hands or feet.
Women receiving oxymetholone may develop male features, which could be irreversible if treatment is continued. If you are a woman taking oxymetholone, tell your doctor right away if you have:
- hoarse or deepened voice;
- increased facial hair, hair growth on the chest;
- male pattern baldness;
- enlarged clitoris;
- changes in your menstrual periods; or
- increased or decreased interest in sex.
Common side effects in both men and women may include:
- male pattern baldness;
- breast swelling or tenderness (in men or women);
- feeling restless or excited;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
You should not use this medicine if you have severe liver or kidney disease, prostate cancer, male breast cancer, or female breast cancer with high levels of calcium in the blood.
Long-term use of oxymetholone can cause liver tumors or blood-filled cysts in your liver or spleen. Call your doctor at once if you have upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes), or rapid weight gain (especially in your face and midsection
, sold under the brand names Anadrol and Anapolon among others, is an androgen and anabolic steroid medication which is used primarily in the treatment of anemia. It is also used to treat osteoporosis, HIV/AIDS wasting syndrome, and to promote weight gain and muscle growth in certain situations.